VA Application Procedures for Post 9/11 GI Bill:
Chapter 33 - Veterans and Active Duty
- Individuals must apply by completing VA Form 22-1990 “Application for VA Education Benefits”.
Certification of Enrollment
Once the student’s application has been processed and approved, they will be issued a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Department of Veterans Affairs. A copy must be provided to the Office of Veterans Services for our records. The COE allows Virginia Tech to place a pending credit on the student’s account for the amount of tuition and fees due by the VA. Pending credits will be applied to the account within 7 to 10 business days of submitting the VA Enrollment Certification Form in Hokie Spa.
If the student has not yet received their COE, the following documents must be provided for VA enrollment submission:
- A completed copy of the student’s V.A. application
- The VA Enrollment Certification Form which is available on Hokie Spa
It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of Veterans Services concerning his/her continued enrollment by completing Virginia Tech’s VA Certification Form each semester. Failure to submit this form will cause the payment cycle to be broken.
The Department of Veterans Affairs will pay retroactively up to one year. To receive retroactive pay for past academic years, please print and complete the form below and submit it to the Office of Veterans Services. Please be sure to fill in the term you wish to retroactively certify in the blank provided on the form.
Pending VA Payment of Tuition and Fees
- Payment of eligible amount of tuition and fees is generated by the Dept of VA directly to VT in approximately 30 to 45 days.
- The student remains responsible for all other billed expenses that the pending credit does not cover.
- Virginia Tech will not place pending credits on student accounts without a copy of their COE on file. Without the COE, students receiving VA benefits are still expected to pay all tuition/fees and billed expenses to the university by the required due date. Pending credits should appear 10 days before the payment due date.
- When payment is received from the VA, it will be credited to the student’s account and refunds, if any, will be processed.
- For information regarding reimbursement of funds once the university receives payment from the Dept. of VA, please visit http://www.bursar.vt.edu/refunds/.
Basic Housing (BAH) and Books and Supply Stipend
- Payment of eligible amount for basic housing and books and supply stipend will be paid by the Dept of VA directly to eligible students in approximately 30 to 45 days.
- Effective October 1, 2011, active duty personnel will qualify for the books and supply stipend.
- Effective 2013, Housing allowance is now payable to students (other than those on active duty) enrolled solely in distance learning. The housing allowance payable is equal to 1/2 the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents. The full-time rate for an individual eligible at the 100% eligibility tier would be $1056.00 for 2013-2014 academic year.
- BAH is paid on or after the first of the month following the month for which payment is due.
- The payment that the Dept. of VA sends directly to Virginia Tech covers tuition and fees only. Housing, dining and all other expenses must be paid by the student by the billing due date, in order not to incur late fees. Please visit the University Bursar’s website at http://www.bursar.vt.edu/anchor/student_anchor.php to review payment options.
- For more information about the housing allowance, visit the basic allowance for housing page (external link).
More extensive information regarding the Post 9/11 Chapter 33 GI Bill is available at http://www.gibill.va.gov/. Please read the information very carefully before electing this benefit as it is irrevocable once chosen.
Transferring VA benefits from another school to Virginia Tech:
Transfer your educational benefits to Virginia Tech by completing:
- VA Form 22-1995 – Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.
- Complete the VA Enrollment Certification Form-available on Hokie Spa
- Submit Copy of COE (Certificate of Eligibility).
- Submit both to the Office of Veterans Services.
DO YOU STILL HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR BENEFITS?
If you need assistance with or have questions about your V.A. educational benefits, please feel free to call our office, contact us via e-mail or call to schedule an appointment. Please retain copies of all forms that you submit to the Office of Veterans Services for your records.
to contact the Office of Veterans Services:
Office of Veterans Services MC 0548
810 Washington Street SW, Suite 130
Blacksburg, VA, 24061
Phone: (540) 231-5815
To contact the U.S. Dept of Veterans Affairs:
U.S. Dept of Veterans Affairs
V.A. Regional Office
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616