VA Application Procedures for Post 9/11 GI Bill:

Chapter 33 – Spouse/Dependent(s)

  • The military parent must determine eligibility to transfer their GI Bill benefit to a spouse or dependent(s) by completing the DOD transferability application.
  • Once the approved TEB form is received from the DOD, a dependent child or spouse must apply to use the transferred benefits by completing VA Form 22-1990E "Application for Transfer of Entitlement".

Certification of Enrollment

Once the student’s application has been processed and approved, they will be issued a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. A copy must be provided to the Office of Veterans Services for our records. The COE allows Virginia Tech to place a pending credit on the student’s account for the amount of tuition and fees due by the VA. Pending credits should appear 10 days before the payment due date. This relieves the student of the responsibility of paying up front the portion that the VA has agreed to pay.  

If the student has not yet received their COE, the following documents must be provided for VA enrollment submission:

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of Veterans Services concerning his/her continued enrollment by completing Virginia Tech’s VA Certification Form each semester. Failure to submit this form will cause the payment cycle to be broken.

Additional Information:

The Dept of Veterans Affairs will pay retroactively up to one year. To receive retroactive pay for past academic years, please print and complete the form below and submit it to the Office of Veterans Services.

Pending VA Payment of Tuition and Fees

  • Payment of eligible amount of tuition and fees is generated by the Dept of VA directly to VT in approximately 30 to 45 days.
  • The student remains responsible for all other billed expenses that the pending credit does not cover. 
  • Virginia Tech will not place pending credits on student accounts without a copy of their COE on file. Without the COE, students receiving VA benefits are still expected to pay all tuition/fees and billed expenses to the university by the required due date. Pending credits should appear 10 days before the payment date.
  • When payment is received from the VA, it will be credited to the student’s account and refunds, if any, will be processed.

Basic Housing (BAH) and Books and Supply Stipend

  • Payment of eligible amount for basic housing and books and supply stipend will be paid by the Dept of VA directly to eligible students in approximately 30 to 45 days.
  • Effective October 1, 2011, active duty personnel will qualify for the books and supply stipend.
  • Effective 2013, Housing allowance is now payable to students (other than those on active duty) enrolled solely in distance learning.  The housing allowance payable is equal to 1/2 the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents. The full-time rate for an individual eligible at the 100% eligibility tier would be $1056.00 for 2013-2014 academic year.
  • BAH is paid on or after the first of the month following the month for which payment is due.
  • The payment that the Dept. of VA sends directly to Virginia Tech covers tuition and fees only.  Housing, dining and all other expenses must be paid by the student by the billing due date, in order not to incur late fees.  Please visit the University Bursar’s website at to review payment options.
  • For more information about the housing allowance, visit the basic allowance for housing page (external link).

More extensive information regarding the Post 9/11 Chapter 33 GI Bill is available at Please read the information very carefully before electing this benefit as it is irrevocable once chosen.

Transferring VA benefits from another school to Virginia Tech:

Transfer your educational benefits to Virginia Tech by completing:

  • VA Form 22-1995 – Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.
  • Complete VA Enrollment Certification Form-available on Hokie Spa
  • Submit Copy of COE (Certificate of Eligibility)..
  • Submit both to the Office of Veterans Services.


If you need assistance with or have questions about your V.A. educational benefits, please feel free to call our office, contact us via e-mail or call to schedule an appointment. Please retain copies of all forms that you submit to the Office of Veterans Services for your records.

to contact the Office of Veterans Services:

Virginia Tech
Office of Veterans Services MC 0548
810 Washington Street SW, Suite 130
Blacksburg, VA, 24061
Phone:  (540) 231-5815

To contact the U.S. Dept of Veterans Affairs:

U.S. Dept of Veterans Affairs
V.A. Regional Office
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616
Phone:  888-442-4551