VA Application Procedures for Post 9/11 GI Bill:
Chapter 33 – Spouse/Dependent(s)
- The military parent must determine eligibility to transfer their GI Bill benefit to a spouse or dependent(s) by completing the DOD transferability application.
- Once the approved TEB form is received from the DOD, a dependent child or spouse must apply to use the transferred benefits by completing VA Form 22-1990E "Application for Transfer of Entitlement".
Certification of Enrollment
Once the student’s application has been processed and approved, they will be issued a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. A copy must be provided to the Office of Veterans Services for our records. The COE allows Virginia Tech to place a pending credit on the student’s account for the amount of tuition and fees due by the VA. Pending credits should appear 10 days before the payment due date. This relieves the student of the responsibility of paying up front the portion that the VA has agreed to pay.
It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of Veterans Services concerning his/her continued enrollment by completing Virginia Tech’s VA Certification Form each semester. Failure to submit this form will cause the payment cycle to be broken.
The Dept of Veterans Affairs will pay retroactively up to one year. To receive retroactive pay for past academic years, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Pending VA Payment of Tuition and Fees
- If a student has turned in a copy of the COE to the Office of Veterans Services, a pending credit for the amount of eligible tuition and fees will be posted to their student account.
- The student remains responsible for all other billed expenses that the pending credit does not cover. Housing, dining and all other expenses must be paid by the student by the billing due date, in order not to incur late fees. Please visit the University Bursar’s website at http://www.bursar.vt.edu/anchor/student_anchor.php to review payment options.
- The Office of Veterans Services will not request tuition and fees from the VA until after the last day to add classes each semester. OVS will send an intital certification so students can receive their book stipend and BAH in a timely manner.
Basic Housing (BAH) and Books and Supply Stipend
- Books and Supply Stipends are sent directly to the students about one week before classes start if the student is already certified. If a student is not certified, it will be paid approximately 30 to 45 days after OVS certifies the student's eligiblity.
- BAH is paid on or after the first of the month for the month prior and will just pay the portion of the month that the student is enrolled.. For example, students who are certified with the VA by the first of August, will receive a prorated BAH for August in early September. If a student is not certified by the first of August, the first BAH will be received in early October for August and September.
- Reminder-Housing, dining and all other expenses must be paid by the student by the billing due date, in order not to incur late fees. Please visit the University Bursar’s website at http://www.bursar.vt.edu/anchor/student_anchor.php to review payment options.
- For more information about the housing allowance, visit the basic allowance for housing page (external link).
More extensive information regarding the Post 9/11 Chapter 33 GI Bill is available at http://www.gibill.va.gov/. Please read the information very carefully before electing this benefit as it is irrevocable once chosen.
Transferring VA benefits from another school to Virginia Tech:
Transfer your educational benefits to Virginia Tech by completing:
- VA Form 22-1995 – Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.
- Complete VA Enrollment Certification Form-available on Hokie Spa
- Submit Copy of COE (Certificate of Eligibility)..
- Submit both to the Office of Veterans Services.
DO YOU STILL HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR BENEFITS?
If you need assistance with or have questions about your V.A. educational benefits, please feel free to call our office, contact us via e-mail or call to schedule an appointment. Please retain copies of all forms that you submit to the Office of Veterans Services for your records.
to contact the Office of Veterans Services:
Office of Veterans Services MC 0548
810 Washington Street SW, Suite 130
Blacksburg, VA, 24061
Phone: (540) 231-5815
To contact the U.S. Dept of Veterans Affairs:
U.S. Dept of Veterans Affairs
V.A. Regional Office
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616